Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lets play ball...

As someone who loves baseball, I get offended when people say that baseball is not a "real" sport. Haters say this because of the pace of the game, they think it is boring and long, but if you really pay attention, it really is not. At least not to me.

Baseball is a probability sport; it is all about how well you performed in the past and how you are supposed to perform in the future. Some players get teams to take expensive chances on them. There numbers might not be that good, but someone on the team got a gut feeling about a player and decides to take a chance. Sometimes it pays off, and sometimes it does not. But watching if it does or not it is where the fun and excitement lays. 

Much like life right???

The baseball season is a long one, from April through September and even longer because of spring training. Then there are the winter leagues, but we will not get into that now, that is whole other post.

But the point is, if you are baseball fan you probably are because you grew up with someone in your family being enthusiastic about it or you played as a kid and this brings back so many memories or comadrarie and of family.

For me it was my father. Anyone that knows my dad knows he is crazy with baseball and especially with the Dominican players. As a kid, I would sit down with my dad and watch games. My brothers would watch too, so I felt like one of the "guys", it was very exciting for me. As I got older, I learned about statistics, pitch counts, the rules and I became even more fascinated.

Now as an adult, when I sit home alone and watch a game from start to finish I remember my father and if it is the Red Sox or Mets playing there is a very high probability that my father is watching it too, all the way from the Dominican Republic. It makes me happy to know that from thousands of miles away I am bonding with my father.

Thank you papi, for showing me the passion and dedication it takes to be a baseball fan, even if sometimes we are just cheering for the Dominican players :)

Ohh yeah, I almost forgot, LET’S GO METS!!!

3 comments:

  1. I get the boring statement all the time!
    My Dad is a fanatic also!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would LOVE you... all his FB updates are about the Mets... LOL!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golf is not a sport. That is a total douchebag statement to make. If I was a chick, I would so want to beat you up.

    ReplyDelete