Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Mami :)


I always tell people "I'm soooooo conceited" and they look at me with this weird look on their face, like I just told them I can bench-press 300 pounds.  They laugh and say, “No you are not”!  You are too nice to be conceited.   I laugh and say wait until you get to know me better.

Now, when I say that I am conceited, maybe what I really mean is that I am just overly confident, sometimes to a fault.  Heidi Klum can be at a party but when I walk in, I think to myself,
  “Yeah she’s hot, but I am way hotter!!”

But honestly, these feelings of confidence and sureness in myself all come from one place... my mother.

For as long as I can remember my mother has told me that I am the smartest, the prettiest, the nicest, the loveliest, the funniest child, girl, teen, and woman alive. Throughout the years I have come to believe all of these superlatives and even own them from time to time.  OK maybe ALL the time :)

I have my mother to thank for my obsession with reflective surfaces, because I cannot walk by a mirror, store window or stainless steel fridge without checking myself out.  This is not a joke; I honestly do this, A LOT.

Thanks to my mother I have the confidence to know that I can try my hand at anything and even if the outcome is not how I expected, still be proud that at least I gave it my best.  I of course have my own set of insecurities, but thanks to my mami, I know that I can always pick up the phone and call her and in two seconds she will have made my head so BIG, that I will go out there and try even harder than before.  There is not one phone conversation with my mom that does not end some way like this:

Me: bye mami, love youuuuuuu, muahhhh
Mami:  te quiero mami, God Bless you, I loveeee you sooooo much, I missssss youuu
Me: love you too mami, miss you too, muahhh
Mami: I love you
Me: I love you too, bye
Mami: bye, I love you
Me: bye, muahhh

And eventually one of us will hang up the phone.

What my mother does not realize is that to me, she is the smartest, the prettiest, the nicest, the loveliest, the funniest woman, wife and mother alive.  Everyday I want to be more like her.  I want to be as caring, as sassy and as stubborn as she is, because when I say, “ohh God, I am turning into my mother” to me that is actually a good thing.  I have huge shoes to fill and hope one day I will be lucky enough to have my future children feel the same way about me. 

Happy (American) Mothers day mami.  You are my friend, my confidant and my inspiration. 

Te Quiero!

2 comments:

  1. I mean I always looked at you like you just benched 300 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give her kisses for me. I hope that one day my little princess can say these same words about me one day!

    ReplyDelete